it does not matter whichever place you might end up living life ... what's vital is to find comfort in knowing that you are able to celebrate the human soul ...

Monday, April 21, 2008

"We Will Rock You" Musical ... Mig Ayesa Rocks


Helyeah!!!!!! "We Will Rock You" Musical surely rocked my world!!!! My blood was pumping to each lyrical beat ... my fist was high up in the air waving like a crazy groupie .. and could you believe??!! my head was banging like a rock star fanatic!!! I tell you, didnt see all these coming ... not even in my wildest dreams ... hahahhaha!
I am a no fan of rock music ... my family and my close friends know it ... I'm more of the blues, jazzy and pop kind of a girl .. but when Thomas invited me for a "date night" to share with the Queen i really didn't mind coz to me it was a "date night" pure and simple ... a gimmick with my dear husband sans the kids.

When I asked him who was in the musical, he couldn't really tell me ... he said the only thing he knew was that the music of Queen was playing and to him that's all that mattered. Fair enough I said, knowing that Thomas was a lover of the band's music. When I searched in the web, i found out that my half Ausi half Pinoy Mig Ayesa was playing the lead role of a Dreamer set in the year 2304 when creating (rock) music was banned. And that he had to find the last guitar treasure hidden in the rock world. That's when I really got interested knowing that Mig Ayesa was there. I've seen him belt it out during his try out as the lead singer of INXS and I must say I was really impressed. And of course the mere fact that he's a pinoy made me even more want to see how he'd do on stage.


Date night came, with my heels and girlie attire, off we went to Esplanade Concert Hall. In my head I was already planning what the after musical gimmick would be since I expected that the show would leave me wanting more for the night. Then the show started ... one beat, one loud magical beat ... I was lost! From the moment the lights went on and the first few notes came I was in a different world ... a world unknown to me and yet I was excited to see what was in store for me.

The bass was booming, the band was playing extremely loud (which in normal circumstance would give me a reason to b**ch around) and yet I was in a happy place ... grinning from ear to ear. The humor of the show made it even more dynamic to watch as the story developed. The cheorography was well defined. The actors were prima. And Mig Ayesa ... oh Mig Ayesa! was truly divine! He was belting it out but not to the point of excruciatingly shouting and was acting but not overly acting! This guy is a work of art! He can sing let alone act! From hereon I pledge my alliance to the Mig Ayesa rock n roll club!

During the intermission, Thomas and I shared our satisfying insights on the show over glasses of wine. We both agreed that it was one of the best musicals we've ever seeen. Glad I said yes when he asked me out!

After 20 minutes, we were back on our seats. Honestly I found the first 5 minutes of the 2nd part quite dragging ... not much was happening ... I thought my excitement was coming to an end ... and then the song "We Will Rock You" came! That was it! We were back in the Rock N Roll world again! Then came "We Are The Champions" ... before coming to the show I dreaded to hear this song coz I've always thought that it has become super commercialized esp when they play it in football stadia and in all kinds of ligas. But lo and behold I loved the song! Maybe because it was used not to celebrate a sporting victory but to celebrate music itself! (That's just me and my profound thinking ... asus!) . I just wish that the next time I accidentally (coz i will try hard to evade it from happening) hear We Are The Champions in a sports event I hope to go back to that happy place when I heard Mig Ayesa and the crew do their take of the song. Thanks to Freddie Mercury for creating such wonderful music!


If you ask me what was the highlight of the show? I would tell you right off that it was when they did the Bohemian Rhapsody - considered to be the Queen's magnum opus. As the curtains go down the audience as expected howled and screamed for more. Just then the screen electronically asked whether we still wanted more ... and to grant our wishes ... Mig Ayesa came into full view with a spotlight and started to sing "Mama (i) just killed a man ... " and the rest as they say is history. A history marked in my musical book.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love Queen... i always sing Bohemian Rhapsody whenever we're at a noraebang (Korean singing room)... my friends wonder at my guts!

2:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MA was on that show? Ohnoes, I think I've missed this show over here in HK. "Mama Mia" for crying out loud.

Scaramouch....

1:05 AM

 
Blogger MiGfansSG said...

Hey! I'm Nat from MiG Fans SG!
chanced upon your blog and maybe you might be interested in the MiG singapore fanclub(:
go to our site at www.migfanssg.blogspot.com to check us out!
also, if you'd like to join, you can email us your name, email and contact(if you're alright with giving numbers) to us at migfanssg@hotmail.com . We will contact you then when we do stuff for MiG, (eg.maybe his bday?) or have activites(=

thanks alot!
-MiG Fans SG(=

10:19 PM

 
Blogger grace said...

betchay ... after hearing the Bohemian Rhapsody in the musical it has not left me until now! i sing it like i'm in the opera! hahahahahah!

11:29 AM

 
Blogger grace said...

tito k! how can you do that!!! it was super fun! talagang mama mia!!! :)

11:30 AM

 
Blogger grace said...

hey nat! went to see your blog! left a message there ... thanks for dropping by here ...

mig rocks!

11:31 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day, Grace.

1:00 AM

 
Blogger Ken said...

grace where are you based/ someone nominated your site kasi to the top10 pinoy expats/ofw blogs eh. see more.

8:54 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the Bohemian Rhapsody since I heard it when I was in kindergarten.

5:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home